LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during LIB::Search
Foo
2003-10-15 16:44:25 UTC

This is one of the stranger problems I've had and apparently, this is
not common since searches all across the net have turned up nothing.

We have a large code based of C++ code, heavy use of templates and
advanced C++ features. We've been using Intel C++ with VisualStudio 6
since the MSVC compilers prior to VC++7.1 couldn't compile the code at
all. Just recently, we installed VisualStudio.NET 2003 and now we
randomly get errors like the following while linking very simple example
programs. In fact, in a directory of 10 of our examples, 9 of the 10
will link fine and then one will fail as shown below. Additionally, at
different times on a second machine, the one that fails is a different
one and sometimes they all link.

LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during LIB::Search

Version 7.10.3077

ExceptionCode = C0000005
ExceptionFlags = 00000000
ExceptionAddress = 00470E82 (00400000)
"c:\Progra~1\Micros~2.NET\VC7\Bin\link.exe"
NumberParameters = 00000002
ExceptionInformation[ 0] = 00000000
ExceptionInformation[ 1] = 01156000

CONTEXT:
Eax = 01156000 Esp = 0012EC08
Ebx = 025B00B0 Ebp = 01155FDA
Ecx = 0040000A Esi = 01155FDA
Edx = 01155FDB Edi = 025B00B0
Eip = 00470E82 EFlags = 00010206
SegCs = 0000001B SegDs = 00000023
SegSs = 00000023 SegEs = 00000023
SegFs = 00000038 SegGs = 00000000
Dr0 = 0012EC08 Dr3 = 025B00B0
Dr1 = 01155FDA Dr6 = 0040000A
Dr2 = 00000000 Dr7 = 00000000

A search of these groups show no mention of this error message and a
search of the web show only the definition of this as an unknown linker
error.

Any ideas???????
Louis Lafreniere [VC++ Dev]
2003-10-15 17:58:07 UTC
--------------------
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:44:25 -0600
Subject: LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during LIB::Search
In fact, in a directory of 10 of our examples, 9 of the 10
will link fine and then one will fail as shown below. Additionally, at
different times on a second machine, the one that fails is a different
one and sometimes they all link.
Any ideas???????
Try disabling incremental linking (/incremental:no) to see if it helps.
--
Louis Lafreniere, Microsoft Visual C++ Dev Team
c***@agilent.com
2003-10-29 17:45:39 UTC
Post by Louis Lafreniere [VC++ Dev]
Post by Foo
Any ideas???????
Try disabling incremental linking (/incremental:no) to see if it helps.
I had a similar symptom

fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during Pass2

etc (details below), and tried your suggestion, but got the same
behavior.

More ideas ???

TIA,
Charlie

Linking...
Creating library Debug/CallbackHandler.lib and object
Debug/CallbackHandler.exp
YesNoNotifier.obj : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during Pass2

Version 7.10.3077

ExceptionCode = C0000005
ExceptionFlags = 00000000
ExceptionAddress = 1031FEE6 (10300000) "E:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\ide\mspdb71.dll"
NumberParameters = 00000002
ExceptionInformation[ 0] = 00000000
ExceptionInformation[ 1] = 00382CA8
CONTEXT:
Eax = 0B1061B4 Esp = 0012E784
Ebx = 00004806 Ebp = 0012E7C8
Ecx = 0B106178 Esi = 00316FB8
Edx = 0B1061BC Edi = 00382CA8
Eip = 1031FEE6 EFlags = 00010206
SegCs = 0000001B SegDs = 00000023
SegSs = 00000023 SegEs = 00000023
SegFs = 00000038 SegGs = 00000000
Dr0 = 0012E784 Dr3 = 00004806
Dr1 = 0012E7C8 Dr6 = 0B106178
Dr2 = 00000000 Dr7 = 00000000

Build log was saved at "file://f:\
c***@agilent.com
2003-10-30 18:00:46 UTC
Post by c***@agilent.com
I had a similar symptom
fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during Pass2
etc (details below), and tried your suggestion, but got the same
behavior.
More ideas ???
I received some help from a MSFT support engineer, and was able to get
my builds to work again. He had me do a LINK /linkrepro: & send the
resulting files. One fact was that my vc70.pdb file was corrupt.

The fix was to delete everything in my .\Debug directory, and reboot.
It then failed the first build, but began working properly with the
second build.

The hypothesis was that I was suffering from a known issue (sorry,
dunno the KB number) on win2k having to do with

memory mapped files (which the PDB code is using) and
the corruption matches up with 4K page boundaries.

which seems a plausible explanation.

Regards,
Charlie